CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A New Challenge for Amanda

Only very few know that I’ve set a goal that is extraordinarily challenging for me: I’m going to run a 3k this fall.




Background: I’m not new to exercise, but I now exercise less than I ever have and I also have had some very bad joint pain since Lana was born. I have to do two things: 1) drink my daily water and 2) regular cardio exercise. I choose running because I can do it no matter where I am, no matter if I have Lana with me or not, and the challenge is serious enough to keep me from being bored.

A Runners Body: My body does not and has never looked like a runner's body. I have my strengths, but it's never been running. Is it how the body was built or how you use it? I’ll just follow a training schedule and see how much I can change.

Starting: Google. I found an article on training for a 3k. The article assumes that one can already run 1.5 miles so, I found another article on running for beginners. I then found some local 3k races and set my goal and schedule!

Progress: The second week included three days of a five minute walk/two minute run repeated three times. This was a stretch for me, but I was surprised that I could do it. I realized that if I stick to the flat paths I can run longer. I was able to succeed in week 2 and even pushed a little further.

Now how will I be able to double the run time to the walk 3/run 4 schedule in week 3?

Triumph!: I was so nervous about Week 3. The run time is twice as long as last week! Just follow the schedule. When I set out Sunday, I struggled a little. I made some mistakes but, with a couple of walking breaks to accomplish the runs, I still made great progress and I wasn’t discouraged because I knew I could do it if I made a couple of changes.

So, today I set out to run again. I made it! I did it! Thank you, God. I can run four consecutive minutes (a total of 16 minutes today)!


Next week: Walk two and run five.

0 comments: