CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bed Bugs and Poopie


Some of you have heard this story because I could not resist telling it, but I have to put it here in case you haven't heard it plus Lana has caught me on something I say that she has interpreted literally.


Bed Bugs

A few weeks back, we decided to expand upon our nightly "good night" ritual with our daughter, Lana. In addition to the commonly used, "Good night. Sleep tight.", we decided to add "Don't let the bed bugs bite."


Well this first created some concern with questions about bed bugs. We told her the weren't real so not to create concern (even though they are real). The next few nights, we repeated this new addition to our "good night" ritual and encountered Lana trying to grasp it and put it into words. Then she finally spit out a complete sentence on the matter, "Good night. Sleep tight. Don't let the bugs eat your bed!" I struggled to stop laughing as I lay next to her to get her to sleep.


The next night was even different. She said with great enthusiasm, "Good night. Sleep tight. Don't let the bugs eat your bed or mine!"


The Poop Comes Out

I recently made the mistake of telling Lana to be careful as she was laying on a balloon. "Be careful, Lana. That balloon could pop and scare the poop out of you." She continued to lay on the balloon and I told her again to be careful. She questioned me, "Or the poop will come out?" Two days later, we have the same scenario. I reminder her that the balloon could pop and it would scare her badly. She reminded me, "So the poop will come out."


I guess so.


Not only do I have to be careful to avoid certain words in the English language that are considered vulgar, but now I have to worry about literal translations for some terrible sayings I have.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Ahh...a child's mind is a beautiful thing!

Think of all the cool things she is going to teach baby sister!?!

Beckman Bulletin said...

So funny. I had not herd the oppo story. Love it. Kids minds are the best comic relief after a long day. Thanks for dinner on Friday!!

Goodrow Gang said...

With a title like Bed Bugs and poopie...I had to click on it! Love the way kids brains work. SO adorable!